What Is New(s) at Gifted Unlimited?
We will be highlighting several books each week through December
Week #3 highlights the Iowa Acceleration Scale, 3rd edition, by Susan G. Assouline, Ph.D., Nicholas Colangelo, Ph.D., Ann Lupkowski-Shoplik, Ph.D., Jonathan Lipscomb, Ph.D., Leslie Forstadt, Ph.D., the gold standard when considering whole grade skips. Tried and true, with years of solid research to support its process, the IAS provides:
- A more objective look at the student;
- An analysis of the major factors to be considered in making a decision;
- Guidelines for weighting the relative importance of the major factors;
- Documentation of the student’s strengths and concerns
- A numerical range to guide the discussion and decision of acceleration; and,
- A standard of comparison with students who have had successful accelerations.
The IAS is the "go-to" resource for objective grade skip decision making.
We also highlight College@13 by Razel Solow, Ph.D. and Celeste Rhodes, Ph.D. Following 14 highly gifted young women, now in their 30s, who left home to attend college at age 13 to 16, skipping all or most of high school, this inspirational book will help educators and parents understand that:
- Gifted kids need academic challenge
- There are colleges with specific programs for such students
- It doesn’t harm them to leave home early
- Keeping gifted students interested in learning is vitally important
Week #2 offers award winning books that focus on raising and supporting gifted children. Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers by Meckstroth, Tolan, and Webb was a groundbreaking book, providing information as valuable today as it was upon original publication. A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children is the "go-to" resource for many families with gifted children conveying understanding and effective parenting suggestions for each age and stage. A Love for Learning: Motivation and the Gifted Child provides insight to lack of motivation and offers effective strategies for helping gifted children reclaim and maintain their motivation.
Week #1 brings three books, all written by award winning author, Joanne Foster, Ed.D. Not Now Maybe Later and Bust Yours Buts will help you help your child (and yourself) by gaining greater understanding of procrastination and providing immediate and effective take away strategies. ABCs of Raising Smarter Kids is a treasure trove of parenting information and resources written in an alliterative style and whimsically illustrated.
We are thrilled to welcome the Great Potential Press imprint with all of its wonderful titles and authors to Gifted Unlimited, LLC. It is an honor to be entrusted with carrying Dr. Jim Webb's legacy forward, and to have the opportunity to build on his vision.
Great Potential Press titles will continue to carry the GPP imprint, They are now available on the Gifted Unlimited website store.